This week is shaping up to be the same. My wife will take her turn to watch Avatar. She'll meet with her girlfriends on another evening. I may have to work late.
This week will also have to be improvised. I offered my wife a boiled dinner for the menu this week, but she declined. So without any ideas, I ended up doing my taxes. So, another week with a blank menu - but my taxes are halfway there now.
- We get our dough from the corner pizza bar.
- Stretch dough, spread sauce, add cheese & toppings, put in oven - at least that's what I think I remember our pizza guy doing.
- Note to self and wife - pizza stone must be gradually heated and cooled otherwise it will crack; also pizza stone must be washed with warm water ONLY, no soap.
- I can't assure you that we will have time for this recipe unless I can find ready made pita dough - does it exist?
- Here is the recipe of the tortilla - http://www.abreadaday.com/?p=339
- For the filling, I usually go with ground beef and a packet of taco seasoning
- All that cooking of breads, we will eat the leftovers - with butter, my daughter's favorite.
- You know we do take out, but I really want to have some fun with this thing.
- We'll do some pasta on the side.
- Fruits, Vegetables, Herbs - bell peppers, mushrooms,
- Meats, Poultry, Fish - pepperoni, deli meat, ground beef
- Dairy, Eggs - mozarella, ricotta
- Dry & Cans - pizza sauce, clams, corn meal, basic yeast, vegetable shortening
- Frozen - ice cream, ready made pita dough?, ready made other dough
Well, this week, the menu is again, sadly, less than inspiring. Here it goes (and sorry for the late pin-up, it's pretty much useless now, so no grocery list this week):
Monday - Beef and Vegetables (asparagus and carrots)
- This is pretty much a stir fry menu served with rice.
Tuesday - Kale Sausage Mushroom Stew
- let's try this again.
Wednesday - Lo-mein
- the ubiquitous lo-mein and yet this is our first time trying to cook it
- please, chinese friends, do not look down on us
Thursday - Steamed Clams and Pasta
- this is a trader's joe set-up - they have packaged clams in garlic sauce
- you only add the noodles
Friday - Leftovers
- I can only hope there aren't any leftovers and we can go out for pizza.
- Am I the only person who thinks half a pie of pizza is an adequate dinner?
For those observant followers, you're probably wondering, "what the heck happened to the low calorie nutrient dense diet?" Well, like all fads, it went out with the old as soon as I realized that the only way I would be able to get any of the recipes would be by buying books or memberships to weird alternative life-style websites that dispense vitamins, etc.
Tuesday - More Leftovers
- Yes, again, we had people over for the three day weekend, amassing more leftovers.
Wednesday - Kale Sausage Mushroom Stew
Thursday - Asparagus Shrimp Risotto
Friday - Bon Chon
- Definitely! Our west coast friends had their KFC run last weekend. So we shall reciprocate.
Shopping List for me:
- Abbreviated this week: asparagus, kale, risotto
At any rate, here's the menu for the week:
Monday - Pasta Alfredo Primavera
- Can you believe this? I guess all those vegetables balance out all that cream.
- I'm sure better recipes abound, but this one sounds so much easier.
- Oh, and remember to make extra for tomorrow's side and put beans in water. In the morning, but the beans in the slow cooker. OR, just get canned beans.
Tuesday - Chicken Caesar Wraps
- Let's add some navy beans, go with lite dressing, and tomato basil tortilla.
- This recipe even has pumpkin seeds.
Wednesday - Kale Sausage Mushroom Stew
- Here's a Bittman beauty.
- What to do for sides? Cous-cous?
Thursday - Asparagus & Shrimp Risotto
- And if we get leftovers from the prior days, this could dinner may really come together.
Friday - Thai Take Out
- Inkling for Roddee, but knowing our friends in Cambridge go on Sundays, we may have to opt for pizza and be a little patient.
- Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs - broccoli, cauliflower, salad greens, red bell peppers, kale, mushrooms, asparagus, shallot, parsley
- Meat, Poultry, Fish - chicken tenderloins, italian sausage, shrimp
- Dairy, Juice - cream cheese, feta, milk, yogurt
- Breads, Grains - tomato basil tortillas, risotto rice
- Canned - black beans, navy beans, chicken stock
- Misc - caesar dressing, pumpkin seeds
Shopping List addtl:
- Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs
- Meat, Poultry, Fish
- Grains - Cous-cous
- Dairy, Juice - parmesan cheese
- Misc - white wine