I have a feeling I'll have more than my usual number of crockpot dishes.
Monday - Fish Tacos
- thanks to my sister who forwarded this recipe from Rick Mooney, and what a great idea, fish, easy to prepare and tasty
- 1 1/4 lb fish, vegetable oil with rub (1 tsp chili, 2 tsp coriander ground, 3/4 tsp cumin ground) baked in oven 425 degrees for 15 minutes, or grill, if you have a house with a backyard grill, which I don't
- soft corn tortillas
- taco fix-ins (greens, tomatoes, grated cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole)
Tuesday - Crockpot Burritos
- use prior evening's fix-ins
- soak black beans for tomorrow
Wednesday - Black Bean Soup (moved to Sunday)
- oh, i have group meeting where dinner is being served, yay!
- it seems that all black bean recipes stage the cooking process, i'm going to try and just do one long cook
- should add some ham hock and maybe a can of tomatoes
- since I'll be cooking this on Sunday now, I'll have more time so I'm thinking of switching to this recipe
Thursday - Crockpot Chili
- thanks to my "sesame street live" friend, steve, here's a blog with a couple of tried recipes, I'm going with the chili, and, steve, sydney and i are in row Q, right behind you for next saturday, and what's the deal with $15 tickets but like $7 ticketmaster fees, no wonder other agencies are trying to find a way to break their hold on the market, and you also pay $2.50 for will-call, i've never bought tickets from ticketmaster before but that's just plain nickel and diming
Friday - Dare I say it, PIZZA!
- The place up the street on Huron Ave is great, straight neighborhood thin crust slices. No fancy goat cheese, truffle oil, or whatever. Pepperoni and grease, please.
- Meat, Fish, Poultry - fish, sirloin stew beef, ham hock, ground beef
- Dairy, Eggs, Juice - grated cheese,
- Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs - greens, tomatoes, cilantro
- Condiments - salsa, jalapenos, chicken broth
- Other - Corn tortillas, taco seasoning, refried beans, dried black beans, 2 cans of beans
Shopping List Addtl:
- Dairy, Eggs, Juice - sour cream, guacamole
- Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs - green onions, onions
- Spices - garlic powder, chili, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt
- Condiments - hot pepper sauce
- Other - black olives, jalapenos, tomatoe sauce, crushed tomatoes
Notes for the Week:
1. Black bean soup was moved to Sunday and was a great start for the week. I put only 1/2 a jar of salsa and added smoked bacon. Lastly, I pureed it for smoother texture to remind of my college days. A book store called Atticus served a smooth black bean soup that I craved for on many occasions during study breaks.
2. We did fish tacos but I didn't follow the recipe because I ended up cooking at a friend's kitchen. I used a mix of Old Bay Seasoning and Adobo but instead of a dry rub, I mixed it into olive oil and chopped garlic and then spread the mixture on the fish. Either way it was a great meal.
3. Crockpot burrito didn't come out as expected because I put TOO much water in the pot. I was going to be away for 12 hours, so I added some more water, but that turned out to be a bad idea. Also, I realize that I am not a big fan of taco seasoning mix and I will do a better job to find a more authentic burrito recipe.
4. Crockpot chili came out much better than I had expected. Who would have thought just a jar of tomato sauce was all it took? I skipped the chili powder so that my daughter could have some and it still came out tasty.
5. Spending a whole week with my daughter alone has been an incredible week. We really formed a bond and now I get emotional when I drop her off at daycare. We finished several art projects and made real strides in eating. She's growing up so fast.