On Second thought, I think I'll forego the disney month of meals plan and try to really focus on korean foods this week. For korean menus, I'll have to go to the local korean store and buy a slew of pre-made side dishes as those alone would take a whole day to prepare. So where ever you see a reference to "side dishes" check my shopping list. Oh, and it should be well known that each meal always comes with a bowl of rice. Finally, I'm so glad that there's a website like the one referenced here by Maangchi. So far, it's the best illustrated korean recipe site I've found. And it's funny that the chef's name is maangchi, it means hammer in korean.
Monday - Spicy Fish Stew and Side Dishes
Tuesday - Beef Short Ribs, Vegetable Pancakes, and Side Dishes
- What would you expect, I grew up in the States.
- Seafood, Meat, Poultry - Red Snapper or Cod, Beef short ribs
- Vegetables, Fruits, Fresh Herbs - Korean Radish, Shitake Mushrooms, Enoki Mushrooms, Carrots, Korean chives, Zucchini, Potatoes, Spinach, Soyean Sprouts
- Side Dishes - Kimchee, Dried Anchovy Bokkum, Marinated Perilla leaves, Marinated Hot Pepper Leaves
- Condiments - Canola Oil, Maple Syrup
Shopping List Addt'l:
- Seafood, Meat, Poultry - Clams, Shrimp, Scallop (opt), Squid, Pork Belly
- Vegetables, Fruits, Fresh Herbs - Water Dropwort, Edible Chyranthemum, Green Onions, Green and red chili pepper, Onions, Ginger, Garlic, Green Onions
- Dairy, Juice, Eggs - Eggs, Tofu (2 packages)
- Baking, Spices - Black pepper, Brown sugar, Sesame Oil, Flour, Salt
- Condiments, Sauces, Oils - Cooking wine, Soy sauce, Corn Syrup, Vegetable Oil
- Other - Kelp, Dried anchovies, Soy bean paste, Sesame seeds, Hot pepper paste
Notes of the Week:
1. let's hear it for maangchi, those were good recipes.
2. on the spicy fish stew, shitake and minari is a must to really bring some earthiness to the stew, i did it without the minari and the spicy-ness didn't really become part of the broth
3. for the beef short ribs, wholefoods had cleared out their meat display for easter ham so i had to settle for beef back ribs, okay but short ribs would have been better, especially since even the back ribs came out excellent, and Sydney loved it