July 6 Menu

Many apologies for the delay. We had a packed Independence Day weekend, so I didn't quite find time to post.

This week, it's chicken, chicken, chicken. I believe I had mentioned that I had a good friend who loves chicken. So, in his honor, we're going to try having chicken this whole week. Of course, we'll have to ease into it. Also, my friend's favorite is fried chicken, but without a deep fryer, I'll have to resort to a chicken bake, sorry. But I assure you, it's good.

Monday - Chicken Katsu
Tuesday - Chicken Caesar Salad
Wednesday - Sam Gae Tang (Korean style chicken soup)
Thursday - Oven Fried Chicken
Friday - Pizza!
  • Oh, how I crave for pizza from Pepe's in New Haven. I'm kicking myself for not having stopped by during my 10th reunion a month ago. Darn!
Shopping List for me:
  • Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs - salad mix, fresh vegetables & fruits, potatoes
  • Meat, Poultry, Fish - chicken breasts (1 lb), pre-chopped chicken
  • Dairy, Juice - buttermilk
  • Grains, Pasta - macaroni
  • Breads - french baguette
  • Condiments - Casesar dressing, dijon mustard
Shopping List Addtl:
  • Meat, Poultry, Fish - chicken tenderloins, cornish hens (or whole chicken)
  • Dairy, Juice - shredded cheeses for macaroni
  • Grains, Pasta - sweet rice
  • Other, Specialty Grocery - ginseng root, chestnuts, red dates (or korean stores have a pre-packaged sam gae tang ingredients pack)
Notes of the week:
1. It was great to have our friends over for the culminating menu of oven fried chicken. I also stirred up some bonchon style chicken sauce of ginger-garlic-soy-honey which came out better than expected. What didn't come out was my feeble attempt at a double fry method to mimic the bonchon. Already against me was that my chicken was skinless, so it kind of defeated the double fry purpose. Second, I didn't watch the temperature too well on the second fry - oops!
2. Salad for dinner really leaves one craving for more.
3. A week of chicken was less torturous than I thought it would be.

No comments: