Many apologies for the delay. We had a packed Independence Day weekend, so I didn't quite find time to post.
This week, it's chicken, chicken, chicken. I believe I had mentioned that I had a good friend who loves chicken. So, in his honor, we're going to try having chicken this whole week. Of course, we'll have to ease into it. Also, my friend's favorite is fried chicken, but without a deep fryer, I'll have to resort to a chicken bake, sorry. But I assure you, it's good.
Monday - Chicken Katsu
- Hope many of you remember this one from Japanese week. My wife loves it. So here it goes again. And, I use chicken tenderlions, so I don't really tenderize or cut it into strips.
- I found the following katsu sauce to be pretty good.
- Don't forget the rice. If you have leftovers, use it for tomorrow's salad.
Tuesday - Chicken Caesar Salad
- Since when does an epicurious recipe call for bottled dressing! I say, "nice and easy."
- If you have leftovers from yesterday, make it into a crispy chicken caesar salad.
- Fresh vegetables, like corn, would be great! Perhaps a nice helping of crushed potatoes.
Wednesday - Sam Gae Tang (Korean style chicken soup)
- I'll be using a regular old whole chicken instead of the cornish hens. It doesn't really change the dish that drastically - really.
- Everyone and their mother links to maangchi for korean dishes, myself included of course.
Thursday - Oven Fried Chicken
- Without a deep fryer, this recipe from Ina Garten makes a batch of fried chicken that is equally delicious.
- Our "chicken" friends will be over for a play date, so I'll look to add some chicken wings for the kids.
- Maybe I'll also throw in some crushed potatoes (see Monday) and macorni too. This recipe is too complicated, so feel free to improvise at will. I'm sure others will resort to a mac & cheese casserole, fine with me.
Friday - Pizza!
- Oh, how I crave for pizza from Pepe's in New Haven. I'm kicking myself for not having stopped by during my 10th reunion a month ago. Darn!
Shopping List for me:
- Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs - salad mix, fresh vegetables & fruits, potatoes
- Meat, Poultry, Fish - chicken breasts (1 lb), pre-chopped chicken
- Dairy, Juice - buttermilk
- Grains, Pasta - macaroni
- Breads - french baguette
- Condiments - Casesar dressing, dijon mustard
Shopping List Addtl:
- Meat, Poultry, Fish - chicken tenderloins, cornish hens (or whole chicken)
- Dairy, Juice - shredded cheeses for macaroni
- Grains, Pasta - sweet rice
- Other, Specialty Grocery - ginseng root, chestnuts, red dates (or korean stores have a pre-packaged sam gae tang ingredients pack)
Notes of the week:
1. It was great to have our friends over for the culminating menu of oven fried chicken. I also stirred up some bonchon style chicken sauce of ginger-garlic-soy-honey which came out better than expected. What didn't come out was my feeble attempt at a double fry method to mimic the bonchon. Already against me was that my chicken was skinless, so it kind of defeated the double fry purpose. Second, I didn't watch the temperature too well on the second fry - oops!
2. Salad for dinner really leaves one craving for more.
3. A week of chicken was less torturous than I thought it would be.